Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Horses

Some people like cats and others like dogs. I am one of those who likes horses. I had my first horse when I was 6 years old. Back in my ranch days I had a horse who followed me around. After the war I managed to buy 15 acres and I bought four horses, one for each of us, Marie, Nancy, Trinka and myself. At that time I had a buckskin gelding who was about 15 hands tall. I not only rode him around the property but I rode him on the Salt Grass Trail. This is the first time in many years when I have not had a horse. I can go down the road and see a horse grazing in the pasture next to the road. I will pull over and say hello to him. We had a cavalry during World War I, but World War II became mechanized thanks to the Germans. General Rommel crossed North Africa with tanks and trucks, no horses.

No comments: