Monday, December 22, 2008

A Midnight Call

One time I had the misfortune to be in Amarillo in the wintertime, but I finally completed this assignment and headed south. I got as far as Brownwood and checked in to a hotel in the middle of the night. I had been in bed a few minutes when the telephone rang. It was Percy Foreman. He said I needed to be in Brownsville, down on the border, at 7 o'clock the next morning for an important story. I protested and he said I would regret it if I were not there and he hung up. Well I got up and drove to Brownsville, arriving in time for breakfast. Percy showed up with Nago Alaniz, who was wanted in connection with a shooting in Alice, Texas, about two years earlier. They appeared before a magistrate, Nago pleaded not guilty and Percy posted bond. That basically was it. Percy later won an acquital. I was on the list of newspaper reporters whom Percy trusted, not 100% mind you, but under the right circumstances. However, over the years Percy gave me some exclusive stories and some good tips. Next I will tell you about the time Percy and his brother Zimmie appeared in court together.

No comments: