Friday, February 6, 2009

Reese Lockett

Reese Lockett was the owner of a clothing store in Brenham. He also was the mayor of Brenham and the boss of the Salt Grass Trail, a ride to publicize the Houston Fat Stock Show. Lockett was tall but walked with a limp because of a horseback accident. He refused to allow the leg to be amputated, and it was stretched tight. This gave him a peculiar walk. In his youth Lockett had been involved in rodeo, and once rode on the circuit, and also in London, England. He also had developed a demanding personality, and had been known to call me and tell me to meet him in Brenham at 8 o'clock the next morning. He still kept horses at a stable on the outskirts of his city. If I drove him anywhere he would stretch out on the back seat so that he could rest his leg. I would say that Lockett was the prototype of a native Texan in the days when Texas still had a distinct personality. It was Lockett who developed the Salt Grass Trail, a movement which I joined and was actively involved with for eight years. The other character involved in the Salt Grass Trail was E. H. Marks, who raised cattle, including longhorns, on his ranch west of Houston. These two men were opposite in personality, but together they represented the basic spirit of Texas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting these comments about Reese Lockett, E.H. Marks and the organization and history of the Salt Grass Trail Ride. Yesterday was "Go Texan Day" here in Houston and my husband and I went with friends to watch the Trail make its way into Houston for their lunch break and then to move on to the rally at Memorial Park. After watching them pass, we were reminiscing about past experiences, etc. and a discussion of the history of that trail ride arose, so it was satisfyig to find your account. I will enjoy sharing it with my friends.
One neighbor asked about Maudeen Marks and Ada Marks Diamond. Do you know if these two ladies are still living? Ada Diamond and my friend were associated in several clubs and knew each other casually then lost contact, but my friend admired Ada and enjoyed her friendship and was concerned about her welfare.

Anonymous said...

Maudeen Marks just passed away on March 20, 2009. She would have been 92 on April 2nd. Her sister, Atha Marks Dimon, is 98 now.

Doris Cook said...

Atha Marks Dimon passed away on December 24, 2009 at the age of 99.

Anonymous said...

Atha Marks Dimon was my wonderful grandmother and Maudeen was our beloved aunt. Our family misses them terribly. We learned a lot from these iconic family members and they were each definitely one of a kind. Each as different, but as remarkable as the next. Come on out and watch the ride. My cousin and I still run wagon #1 and carry on our family legacy proudly. God Bless

Unknown said...

Reese Lockett, Jr, is alive and well and is a good friend of mine. I have heard all sorts of stories about his daddy, one being that he helped start the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and that he rode the Saltgrass trail on a horse from Brenham to Houston and back on a bet. He was bigger than life and his son is a wonderful man.

Unknown said...

Reese Lockett was my great grandfather. Never me him but from what I have heard he was a great man. His statue in Brenham is Awesome.